Presenting…dinner #1 from my 9 days menu. This morning I posted my Summery Fresh Fruit muffins, which served as the dessert to this creamy quiche, and I really must say – I have not enjoyed a meal as much in a long time. My husband took his first bite of this quiche and said, ” Oh my Gd this is so freakin’ good”. That made me smile ;-). I have never baked with avocado before, but have always wondered how the texture would change and what flavors would be brought out. I happen to have a plethora of avocados because my 1 year old can’t go a whole day with out a bowl of ‘avo’ as we call it. The creamy-ness of the avocado was NOT lost in the baking process, if anything it was enhanced dramatically. The green chili served up the perfect amount of spice, but didn’t overwhelm the quiche because there were so many other flavors. And when can you go wrong with mushrooms and mozzarella cheese? ( The answer is never). Below find my recipe for this quiche, and stay tuned because tonight’s dinner is going to be a hit too, I can feel it!
1 frozen pie crust
4 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cup chopped white mushrooms
1 green chili, diced
1 large Hass avocado, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
Yields: 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare vegetable; chop mushrooms, dice green chili and slice avocado. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, add milk, cheese, garlic powder, salt and oregano. Add chopped vegetables to egg mixture, stir to combine.
- Pour batter into frozen, NOT thawed, pie crust and bake for 48-50 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Crust will start to brown as the timer winds down.Let cool for 5 minutes before serving ( I find the crust stays together better).